Life Lessons from Week 1
Now that the first week of camp #2 is over, I feel a bit more in control of my life and my time. The first week was busy busy, as this is an overnight camp. Plus, instructors have to chaperone off-campus events once in the three week period, so of course last week was my week. So! Many! Campers!
But here are five of the things I have learned in my first week teaching creative writing at fine arts camp. And, really, some of these are life lessons for all of us:
- Pooping on the bathroom floor happens more often than I’d like to think about. I mean. Really. Poop. On the floor. Twice.
- Boy bands are definitely a thing. And I don’t think they’re going away. One Direction is all I’ve been hearing, and apparently there’s something called Big Time Rush. And it’s a thing, too.
- Sometimes all you need is a dance break to Call Me Maybe to turn a frown upside down.
- Not-so-unfair generalizations: All tweens are named Grace, Rose, or Katie. All tweens were born in this millennium. All tweens love neon.
- Peeta sounds like “Pita,” which is funny, because he’s a baker. *mind blown*